Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The infinitive of "has to" is "have to", in the same way that the infinitive form of "has" is "have". It doesn't have a subjunctive form (in my opinion). I would use "to be obliged to" if I needed the subjunctive.

I suggest that everyone be obliged to do XXX.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The infinitive of "has to" is "have to", in the same way that the infinitive form of "has" is "have". It doesn't have a subjunctive form (in my opinion). I would use "to be obliged to" if I needed the subjunctive.

I suggest that everyone be obliged to do XXX.

Yes, I think your idea was really necessary to make me convinced, due to the fact that we were looking to find the subjunctive form of 'has to.' Thanks any way.

By the way, pardon me, what is the meaning of XXX? And why is everyone obliged to do so? ;-):cool:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"XXX" fills in for any possible activity.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's what is called a variable in maths and computer science. You can ascribe any relevant value to it. And you can't ask why people are obliged to X until the variable is instantiated, and thus given a context.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Sorry, I tried my hand at Google and thought triple X means what Google says. Then I imagined you wanted to convey a sense of humor. Misunderstanding caused by Google - pardon us!

Status
Not open for further replies.