Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
"He put up a scintillating performance."

What would be a synonym for "put up"? I'd say "deliver" or "turn in," but those meanings aren't listed in the dictionary for "put up." "Engage in" or "carry on" are, though. Is that what "put up" really means in the above sentence?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"He put up a scintillating performance."

What would be a synonym for "put up"? I'd say "deliver" or "turn in," but those meanings aren't listed in the dictionary for "put up." "Engage in" or "carry on" are, though. Is that what "put up" really means in the above sentence?

Thanks.

In the original sentence, I would have expected to see "He put on a scintillating performance". Perhaps "put up" was used by the writer to mean "deliver" but I've never heard it before either.

There are several meanings of "put up" but this isn't normally one of them.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
In the original sentence, I would have expected to see "He put on a scintillating performance". Perhaps "put up" was used by the writer to mean "deliver" but I've never heard it before either.

There are several meanings of "put up" but this isn't normally one of them.

I had never heard of "put up a performance" either, but I'm quite familiar with "put on a performance," which, if I'm not mistaken, means "produce/deliver a performance." However, if you google "put up a performance" you'll get quite a few results.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I had never heard of "put up a performance" either, but I'm quite familiar with "put on a performance," which, if I'm not mistaken, means "produce/deliver a performance." However, if you google "put up a performance" you'll get quite a few results.

Well, to be fair, if you Google just about anything, you'll get quite a few results!!!

"To put up a fight" can be used in sporting terms, where one would also be performing. What was the context of your original sentence - sporting or theatrical?

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
This is where I first saw "put up" in connection with "performance":

"With the series on the line, the Lakers need Kobe Bryant to put up a Jordanesque performance."

That sentence was written on nba.com

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is where I first saw "put up" in connection with "performance":

"With the series on the line, the Lakers need Kobe Bryant to put up a Jordanesque performance."

That sentence was written on nba.com

Thanks.

Perhaps an AmE speaker will be able to help out. Maybe it's more common there than in BrE.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
put on = organize or present a play, exhibition or event

So you could say 'put on a performance' in certain cases where the performance means the actual event ('They put on a great [performance = show]'). I wouldn't say the actor 'put on a great performance'. I might say the actor 'put in a great performance', where:

put in = devote time or effort to (something)

'They put on a play in which the lead actor put in a great performance.'

I think in 'Kobe Bryant putting up a Jordanesque performance', the meaning is similar to 'put in' above. In fact, given the definition:

put up = offer or show (a particular degree of resistance, effort or skill) in a fight or competitive situation, eg 'he put up a brave fight'.

I'd sooner say 'putting in' in this example, as I would in the case of 'he put up a scintillating performance' although the difference in meaning is slight.

Going back to 'put on' - as regards people, I would understand 'put on a performance' as relating to another meaning of 'put on'

put on = assume a particular expression, accent, etc; behave deceptively

'My son might put on a performance if I don't allow him sweets on a Saturday.'

And to combine 'put in' and 'put on':

'Didier Drogba has put in some great performances for Chelsea this season. There's no doubt he's a great player, although sometimes his displays are tainted by charges of gamesmanship, particularly when he's tackled in the penalty area - he has regularly been accused of diving or putting on a performance to try and get a penalty.'

Status
Not open for further replies.