Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I wonder if some one could clear the clouds here. Is 'red nose' an infectious disease itself or would be caused by another kind of disease like the flu or a cold?

There is no disease known as 'red nose'.

NOT A MEDIC :)

There is a disease that is commonly called red nose disease, namely Rosacea.

* [FONT=&quot]Hello Faryan,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Red Nose is not a disease but, rather, a common moniker for four very real conditions. The causes of “red nose” can be either infectious or non-infectious. Two non-infectious causes are:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Alcoholism ([FONT=&quot]drinking alcohol often causes a temporary reddening of the nose, especially in fair-skinned people) and[/FONT][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Systemic Lupus Erythmatosus, [FONT=&quot]an autoimmune disease, which causes skin manifestations in the form of a butterfly-shaped facial rash. (1)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Technically speaking, [FONT=&quot]Rosacea[/FONT][FONT=&quot] is not an infectious disease but, rather, a chronic, inflammatory skin condition. It causes redness on your face and can also produce small, red, pus-filled bumps or pustules. While these bumps or pustules are small infections, they are the result, not the cause, of the condition. (2)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Erysipelas[FONT=&quot], is definitely a bacterial infection most often caused by group A streptococcus, and it occurs on the face and neck and cheeks. The bacteria enters through small breaks in the skin and causes a painful, raised, hot, swollen red area of skin that can affect the nose, cheeks and neck. (3)[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm a retired physician and I hope this helps answer your question.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]John
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [FONT=&quot]http://www.livestrong.com/article/189496-causes-of-a-red-nose/[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Rosacea - MayoClinic.com [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Erysipelas: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back