Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hello everyone.
I have a little confusion in sequence of tenses, here is the example ( he assured that he would do anything that benefits his people and his country.)
Here the main clause is in past tense but the second subordinate clause is in present tense . Shouldn't it be in past tense too ?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He assured us that he would do anything that benefits his people and his country.

Note the changes. Also note that "anything that benefits his people and his country" is a noun phrase that is the object of "do". There is no clash

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, everyone.

I have am a little confusion confused in about the sequence of tenses. Here is the an example:

"H
e assured that he would do anything that benefits his people and his country."

Here the main clause is in the past tense but the second subordinate clause is in the present tense . Shouldn't it be in the past tense too?
Note my corrections above. You need to work on your use of articles. Also, when you quote text, it goes in quotation marks, not inside brackets.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, Dr strange. :)

Where did you find the quoted sentence? It is important that you provide the source and author of any text you quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.