Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello again!

She couldn't make up her mind between Ann Stevens and Sonia.

Does the above sentence mean that:

She couldn't decide on which name to choose, Ann Stevens or Sonia?

Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It might.

Then again, it might not.

Why don't you tell us the context? And why is there a Stone in the title but not in the question?

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I forgot to write Sonia Stone in post 1, but it goes without saying that it is the same person. The context preceding the sentence in question is as follows:
When it came to changing her name to something more exotic, she couldn't make up her mind between Ann Stevens and Sonia Stone.

It brings me to the conclusion that there must be similarity in meaning between "She couldn't make up her mind between Ann Stevens and Sonia Stone" and "She couldn't decide on which name to choose, Ann Stevens or Sonia Stone" or "She didn't know which name to choose, Ann Stevens or Sonia Stone".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If it was clear from the preceding information that the person was trying to choose a new name for herself, then it would be perfectly understandable to say "She couldn't make up her mind between Ann Stevens and Sonia Stone".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Once again, context saves the day. :cheers:

(My wife claims that she once [only once!] told me she loved me. My reply was, "In what context?")

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
To sum up. The sentence "She couldn't make up her mind between Ann Stevens and Sonia Stone" means "She was trying to choose a new name for herself". Am I right?

The sentence "She couldn't make up her mind between Ann Stevens and Sonia Stone" does not mean "She didn't know which name to choose, Ann Stevens or Sonia Stone". Am I right?

Please tell me because I am very eager to know.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To sum up. The sentence "She couldn't make up her mind between Ann Stevens and Sonia Stone" means "She was trying to choose a new name for herself". Am I right?

The sentence "She couldn't make up her mind between Ann Stevens and Sonia Stone" does not mean "She didn't know which name to choose, Ann Stevens or Sonia Stone". Am I right?

No. The sentence "She couldn't make up her mind between Ann Stevens and Sonia Stone" does not suggest in any way that the woman is considering changing her name. That sentence could be said, for example, by a boss who has just interviewed ten women for a job, but now can't decide between the two best candidates - Ann Stevens and Sonia Stone".

What part of the sentence "She couldn't make up her mind between Ann Stevens and Sonia Stone" do you think suggests a name change?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

It can mean "She didn't know which name to choose, Ann Stevens or Sonia Stone". It can also mean, in the right context, that she could not decide which of two girls she wanted as her bridesmaid.

Except in a certain context, it does not mean "She was trying to choose a new name for herself". Even in that context, these words alone do not carry that full meaning.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
When it came to changing her name to something more exotic - it is an answer to a question by emsr2d2. I think so.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When it came to changing her name to something more exotic - it is an answer to a question by emsr2d2. I think so.
I don't understand what point you are making. To which question are you referring?

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What part of the sentence "She couldn't make up her mind between Ann Stevens and Sonia Stone" do you think suggests a name change?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

No part of it does. Only in the proper context can it mean such a thing.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Look again at post #4. ems began with the words (underlining added): "If it was clear from the preceding information that the person was trying to choose a new name for herself, ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.