She felt exhilarated with the speed and the rush of air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonverbis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

Nonverbis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Oxford provides it because it has been used in print in the recent past, as a Google search will show. Here is a link to my search result:
Google is not a reliable source of information. And anyway, it doesn't explain anything.

First of all, Oxford doesn't stipulates any prepositions at all. If prepositions are used, Oxford usually pays attention to that.
A preposition just occurred in examples. What it means is still a mistery to me.

Secondly, Collins does provide us with a preposition. But strangely it is "by". Well, this means that "by" is definitely correct. But Oxford either forgot about prepositions or just thinks they are used rather rarely, which is suspicious.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Google is not a reliable source of information
It is fine for checking on whether words and phrases have appeared in the written form.
And anyway, it doesn't explain anything.
It doesn't need to. We wanted to know only whether 'exhilarated with' is recorded in use. It is.
A preposition just occurred in examples. What it means is still a mystery to me.
It means that 'with' is sometimes used with 'exhilarated'.

Nonverbis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
@Nonverbis: You'd be well advised to temper your suspicion of Oxford dictionaries. They are among the most prestigious and most reliable of dictionaries.
I wouldn't be overenthusiastic about their dictionaries. They are good.
But not faultless.

What about an example?

Here you are:

1664395536225.png

It's a typo. A capital letter instead of a lower case one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't understand your example. The first word of any full sentence should be capitalised, and "His face was round and his eyes were merry" is a complete sentence.
I don't think nitpicking about little typos etc is a good use of your time. Concentrate on whether you understand the definitions and usages given.

Nonverbis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I don't think nitpicking about little typos etc is a good use of your time.
I was told it is authoritative. It is. But if you are a big fun of typos, what can I say.

As for the first word being capitalised, in my example it is the second letter of the first word, which is capitalised here.

Last edited:

Lycidas

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
She felt exhilarated with the speed and the rush of air.
It's possible to view the "with"-phrase there as a sentence modifier with situational meaning. Consider that the "with"-phrase can very easily be fronted:

With the speed and the rush of air, she felt exhilarated.

Paraphrase: On account of the speed and the rush of the air, she felt exhilarated.

The sentence may be seen as answering the question "Why did she feel exhilarated?" rather than "What exhilarated her?" or "What did she feel exhilarated by?"

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Nonverbis, I think you've got the wrong idea here. Different prepositions have different meanings. It's only rarely that they don't. You shouldn't try to connect them too closely to preceding words.

As Lycidas suggests above, exhilarated can be understood as either a state or as an action (a past participle verb), depending on the context. If an -ed word is followed by the preposition by, it's typically a verb with the by-phrase showing the agent.

Nonverbis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
If an -ed word is followed by the preposition by, it's typically a verb with the by-phrase showing the agent.
Thank you. But it will not help me in this case. And maybe we can't rely on this logic at all.
Remember that Collins provides us with "by something".

He felt strangely exhilarated by the brisk, blue morning.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think you may have misunderstood the primary purpose of modern dictionaries, nonverbis. It is to explain the neanings of words as suggested by the way native speakers use them. It is not to teach grammar, give examples of good style, or prescribe. The compilers try to do this economically - they cannot possibly illustrate and explain every possible shade of meaning of every word ever recorded (though the editors of the OED did their best). In order to help illustrate the meanings of the words in use, most dictionaries give a number of example sentences. As the M-D editors inforn us: These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'X.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors.

There are dozens of dictionaries at https://www.onelook.com/. If you find some that don't satisfy your requirements, try others.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you. But it will not help me in this case. And maybe we can't rely on this logic at all.
Remember that Collins provides us with "by something".

He felt strangely exhilarated by the brisk, blue morning.

I don't follow what you mean.

I was suggesting that the thing after by is the thing that does the exhilarating to the receiver of the exhilaration. Think of it as a passive action. Does that not make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.