Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is it common to say "She is a Monet"? We have a similar expression like "She is a 100-meter beauty".

ip83
ex)She is a Monet. She looks quite attractive from a distance, but a closer look will make you sick.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Is it common to say "She is a Monet"? We have a similar expression like "She is a 100-meter beauty".

ip83
ex)She is a Monet. She looks quite attractive from a distance, but a closer look will make you sick.

No, it's not common at all, thankfully.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

It's not common at all, but I have heard it before. I think it sounds more natural to say "She's like a Monet, ..." rather than "She's a Monet,...".

I rather resent the implied insult to Monets, though; he's one of my favourite painters!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I rather resent the implied insult to Monets, though; he's one of my favourite painters!
Tut tut. The love of Monet is the root of all evil.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Could be worse- if she were a Jackson Pollock, it would be serious, though I do like his paintings.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
We have a similar expression like "She is a 100-meter beauty".
That reminds me of

The nurse, to quiet her babe, made use of a rattle which was a kind of hollow vessel filled with great stones, and fastened by a cable to the child's waist: but all in vain; so that she was forced to apply the last remedy by giving it suck. I must confess no object ever disgusted me so much as the sight of her monstrous breast, which I cannot tell what to compare with, so as to give the curious reader an idea of its bulk, shape, and colour. It stood prominent six feet, and could not be less than sixteen in circumference. The nipple was about half the bigness of my head, and the hue both of that and the dug, so varied with spots, pimples, and freckles, that nothing could appear more nauseous: for I had a near sight of her, she sitting down, the more conveniently to give suck, and I standing on the table. This made me reflect upon the fair skins of our English ladies, who appear so beautiful to us, only because they are of our own size, and their defects not to be seen but through a magnifying glass; where we find by experiment that the smoothest and whitest skins look rough, and coarse, and ill-coloured.

(Gulliver's Travels)

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Could be worse- if she were a Jackson Pollock, it would be serious, though I do like his paintings.

Personally, I never understood such paintings... although, come to think of it, I don't understand women either. Wonder if both facts are related? :roll: ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The artist I can't explain is Mark Rothko- he paints stripes, but he's one of the greatest artists I have seen. He does great stripes and bands.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd never heard either phrase and I have to say that if I heard the Monet or 100-metre version with no context, I would have taken them to be complimentary. For the Monet quote, I would assume the speaker was simply saying the woman was beautiful enough to be in a portrait by a famous artist. For the 100-metre one, I might think it meant that the person's beauty was visible even from 100 metres, not just up close.

I'm rather appalled at the idea that there's a specific phrase for someone whose appearance apparently makes one sick. What an unpleasant way to think about people.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I'm rather appalled at the idea that there's a specific phrase for someone whose appearance apparently makes one sick. What an unpleasant way to think about people.

I couldn't agree more, Ems.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'd never heard either phrase and I have to say that if I heard the Monet or 100-metre version with no context, I would have taken them to be complimentary. For the Monet quote, I would assume the speaker was simply saying the woman was beautiful enough to be in a portrait by a famous artist. For the 100-metre one, I might think it meant that the person's beauty was visible even from 100 metres, not just up close.

I think keannu meant that the 100-meter phrase is a Korean one. I don't think it exists in English.

PS: I've just found this phrase.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.