[Vocabulary] so much the greater is the triumph of faith in nevertheless believing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kissminded

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Hi, everyone,

Please help me, I can't take the meaning of "so much the greater is the triumph of faith in nevertheless believing"

It comes from google books ,History of Western Philosophy: Collectors Edition.
Thanks a lot in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is that the entire sentence? If not, please post the whole thing. At the moment, it makes no sense to me.

kissminded

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Is that the entire sentence? If not, please post the whole thing. At the moment, it makes no sense to me.
ُ
"This doctrine had been preached by certain Averroists in the thirteenth century, but had been condemned by the Church. The "triumph of faith" was, for the orthodox, a dangerous device. Bayle, in the late seventeenth century, made ironical use of it, setting forth at great length all that reason could say against some orthodox belief, and then concluding "so much the greater is the triumph of faith in nevertheless believing." How far Bacon's orthodoxy was sincere it is impossible to know."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
ُ
"This doctrine had been preached by certain Averroists in the thirteenth century, but had been condemned by the Church. The "triumph of faith" was, for the orthodox, a dangerous device. Bayle, in the late seventeenth century, made ironical use of it, setting forth at great length all that reason could say against some orthodox belief, and then concluding "so much the greater is the triumph of faith in nevertheless believing." How far Bacon's orthodoxy was sincere it is impossible to know."

Do you understand the rest of the passage?

kissminded

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Do you understand the rest of the passage?
Yes, I think so.
Well some problem is there of course,I don't know anything about "triumph of faith" but looking.

kissminded

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Any suggestion?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Any suggestion?

What that phrase is trying to say is that it it easy to believe something when you have the facts: you can see it, hear it, taste it, feel it, etc. When you have no facts and still believe something, it requires faith. Some would call that the triumph of faith. Others would call that gullibility. Belief in God is probably the best example.

Status
Not open for further replies.