Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
This is the sentence:

I was initially thinking on using a note taking application such as Evernote or OneNote, but I realized that none of them are future-proof and they may disappear at any time,
so I decided to stick with a plain text system.

I think it's a little bit too long. Would it be correct to split it up using a semicolon? like so:

I was initially thinking on using a note taking application such as Evernote or OneNote, but I realized that none of them are future-proof
; they may disappear at any time, so I decided to stick with a plain text system.

or should I go with a period?

I was initially thinking on using a note taking application such as Evernote or OneNote, but I realized that none of them are future-proof. They may disappear at any time, so I decided to stick with a plain text system.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is the sentence:

1. I was initially thinking on using a note taking application such as Evernote or OneNote, but I realized that none of them are future-proof and they may disappear at any time,
so I decided to stick with a plain text system.

I think it's a little bit too long. Would it be correct to split it up using a semicolon? like so:

2. I was initially thinking on using a note taking application such as Evernote or OneNote, but I realized that none of them are future-proof
; they may disappear at any time, so I decided to stick with a plain text system.

or should I go with a period?

3. I was initially thinking on using a note taking application such as Evernote or OneNote, but I realized that none of them are future-proof. They may disappear at any time, so I decided to stick with a plain text system.

Number your sentences.

Sentence 3 is better. A four-line sentence is too long.

I don't see the problem. Aren't Evernote and OneNote also text applications which can be saved?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

I would go with periods.

Something like: "I was initially thinking about using a note-taking application such as Evernote or OneNote. I realized, however, that none of them are future-proof and may disappear at any time. I decided therefore to stick with a plain text system."

Zoli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
Your version sound much better, but the word "therefore" should have a comma before and after it. Right?

I decided, therefore, to ...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your version sounds much better, but the word "therefore" should have a comma before and after it. Am I right?

I decided, therefore, to ...

I would use those commas.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would use those commas.
It works either way for me but it flows better without them. A one-word parenthetical clause is easily understood without being marked by commas.

Status
Not open for further replies.