Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
How to combine the following four sentences into one sentence? Is the sentence as written below acceptable?

1. The little girl was barefooted.
2. The way from her home to another village was stony path.
3. Walking on the long-suffering stony/macadam path was a toil.
4. She ran all the way.

She was barefooted and ran all the way on the long-suffering pavement of stony path.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How to combine the following four sentences into one sentence? Is the sentence as written below acceptable?

4. She ran all the way.

She was barefooted and ran all the way on the long-suffering pavement of stony path.

To include all the information that was contained in those four sentences would require making one long sentence - unacceptably long, in my opinion. Your suggested sentence omits the information that the subject is a "little girl", that the stony path goes from her home to another village and that walking on that path was "a toil" (an odd phrase). I have never heard of a "long-suffering" path before. I am also not clear if the point being made is that walking on the path is difficult but running on it is OK, and that's why she ran. It's a very odd exercise.

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
3. Running/walking on the stony path was hard for the little girl.
4. The little girl was running all the way because she need to ask somebody for help.

If it requires making one long sentence, then how about two sentences?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
3. Running/walking on the stony path was hard for the little girl.
4. The little girl was running all the way because she need to ask somebody for help.

If it requires making one long sentence, then how about two sentences?

I'm confused about what you're trying to do. You started with four sentences containing specific information and said you were trying to make one sentence out of them. Now you have added extra information to sentence 4, changed the meaning of sentence 3, and want to make it into two sentences.

Is this an exercise you have been given to do or are you making the whole thing up yourself?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I made the whole thing up myself.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

4. She ran all the way.

OK, let's go back to your first post. You made it all up yourself but I will deal with it as if it were an actual exercise question. If I had to make one sentence of your four, retaining all the information, I would have written this:

"The little, barefoot girl ran all the way from her home to another village along a long-suffering stony path which was a toil to walk on."

I think you'll agree it's rather long sentence. I retained your use of "long-suffering" and "toil" even though I don't find either of them very natural.

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The sentence corrected by you is very close to what I wanted to express. However, the words "long-suffering" and "toil" are created by myself. Originally, I meant the way from her home to another village was a torture because the pavement of the stony path would hurt her feet. So, how to express the idea in a natural phrase of this sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.