Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When talking about how my children spend their time, in this text, is the comma optional after "in the evenings", and "during the day" can I use either the singular "on/at the weekend"?

In the evenings, my children usually do their homework and on/at the weekend they usually have some free time for books. They usually have no time on weekdays. They attend different clubs on weekdays. They can have classes on Sunday too.Durng the day, most kids almost have no free time, especially on weekday mornings. ( I mean in the mornings Monday to Friday) They don't have time at all if it's a weekday in the evening. ( I mean Monday to Friday in the evening) Football is my son's favorite hobby. He goes to football training twice a week.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you mean by saying they have no time on weekdays?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
What do you mean by saying they have no time on weekdays?
I am not sure especially about these parts: especially on weekday mornings. ( I mean in the mornings Monday to Friday).
And They don't have time at all if it's a weekday in the evening.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not sure especially about these parts: especially on weekday mornings. ( I mean in the mornings Monday to Friday).
And they don't have time at all if it's a weekday in the evening.
Perhaps:

Their days are tightly scheduled, and they have no free time during the week.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When talking about how my children spend their time, in this text, is the comma optional after "in the evenings", and "during the day" can I use either the singular "on/at the weekend"?

In the evenings, my children usually do their homework and on/ at the weekends they usually have some free time for books to read. They usually have no time on weekdays no full stop here because they attend different various clubs. on weekdays. Sometimes, they can have classes on Sunday too. space after a full stop During the day, Most kids almost have almost no free time, especially on weekday mornings. They don't have any time at all if it's a on weekday in the evenings. Football is my son's favorite hobby. He Also, my son goes to football training twice a week.
You've used "usually" three times in the first two sentences. Try to find some synonyms. Also, be careful with your spacing. There were multiple instances of two or even three spaces between words.
The whole thing is quite messy. I think you should start again. Deal with weekdays first, splitting the information into daytime then evenings, then go on to what happens at weekends. The opening "In the evenings" doesn't make it clear whether you're talking about every evening or just some evenings. You haven't explained why most kids have no time for anything on weekday mornings. Is it because they're at school? What about the afternoons? And what do "most kids" have to do with it. Your piece is supposed to be about what your kids do.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
You've used "usually" three times in the first two sentences. Try to find some synonyms. Also, be careful with your spacing. There were multiple instances of two or even three spaces between words.
The whole thing is quite messy. I think you should start again. Deal with weekdays first, splitting the information into daytime then evenings, then go on to what happens at weekends. The opening "In the evenings" doesn't make it clear whether you're talking about every evening or just some evenings. You haven't explained why most kids have no time for anything on weekday mornings. Is it because they're at school? What about the afternoons? And what do "most kids" have to do with it. Your piece is supposed to be about what your kids do.

In the evenings, (I mean every evening during the whole week) my children usually do their homework. They also attend different clubs on weekdays. They can have classes on Sunday too.Durng the day, they have no free time on weekday mornings. ( I mean in the mornings Monday to Friday) They don't have time at all if it's a weekday in the evening. ( I mean Monday to Friday in the evening) Football is my son's favorite hobby. He goes to football training twice a week.

I changed it and edited some parts. Does it make sense and sound idiomatic?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In the evenings, (I mean every evening during the whole week) - every evening
During the day, they have no free time on weekday mornings.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the evenings, (I mean every evening during the whole week) my children usually do their homework. They also attend different clubs on weekdays. They can have classes on Sunday too.Durng the day, they have no free time on weekday mornings. ( I mean in the mornings Monday to Friday) They don't have time at all if it's a weekday in the evening. ( I mean Monday to Friday in the evening) Football is my son's favorite hobby. He goes to football training twice a week.

I changed it and edited some parts. Does it make sense and sound idiomatic?
You changed it and edited some parts yet you left in some of the errors I corrected in post #6. I have marked them above in red. Please make sure you actually take notice of our corrections and don't repeat them.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is their lack of free time a problem?

Last edited by a moderator: