Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I expect a detailed reply would be as boring as that lengthy screed you've just inflicted on us.

Somebody might prove me wrong.

realEnglish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I expect a detailed reply would be as boring as that lengthy screed you've just inflicted on us.

Somebody might prove me wrong.

Could you please just copy and paste to show me a few examples to help me understand?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Terms and Conditions" is a fixed legal phrase. The individual words presumably have specific meanings in that context, but for everyday use, those meanings are unimportant.

realEnglish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
"Terms and Conditions" is a fixed legal phrase. The individual words presumably have specific meanings in that context, but for everyday use, those meanings are unimportant.

Thank you!

I have been misunderstanding that term. I thought it's a combination of two things. But it's just a phrase that means a list of things you have to agree and have legally bindings.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I am not a lawyer, but I have taken a course in law as it relates to business. Terms are the major and essential provisions of a contract, while conditions are relatively minor or non-essential provisions.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have been misunderstanding that term. I thought it was a combination of two things.
To a lawyer, each of the two words probably has a distinct meaning. What the meanings are is not important to the rest of us.

realEnglish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I am not a lawyer, but I have taken a course in law as it relates to business. Terms are the major and essential provisions of a contract, while conditions are relatively minor or non-essential provisions.

Thank you!

I thought terms meant "the terms I dictate and you must accept, failure to do so would result in penalty", and conditions meant "the conditions you must meet, if you fail to do so, I can refuse to do my duty". Your explanation helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.