Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It was only a few months ago, in a commentary on racism in science by Ebony Omotola McGee, that Shockley was described in our pages in the terms he deserved. But as recently as 2001, Science described him simply as a “transistor inventor and race theorist.” That won’t cut it anymore. As of today, a link to this editorial will appear along with any mention of Shockley in this journal.
Source: Science

I understand "That won’t cut it anymore" as "that gave him sufficient criticism rather than inadequate scorn".

Am I on the right track?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
It means That won't be enough anymore, or That won't be adequate anymore.

"That" refers to Shockley's description in 2001 as simply a transistor inventor and race theorist.

The writer's saying that description is inadequate because the people at Science believe Shockley was a racist (i.e. much more than a mere race theorist) and were going to make their opinion of him clear.

Last edited:

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It means That won't be enough anymore, or That won't be adequate anymore.

"That" refers to Shockley's description in 2001 as simply a transistor inventor and race theorist.

The writer's saying that description is inadequate because the people at Science believe Shockley was a racist (i.e. much more than a mere race theorist) and were going to make their opinion of him clear.
But what about cut it? Cut what?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
But what about cut it? Cut what?
It's an expression. It isn't meant to be taken literally. English has lots of expressions like this.

Nothing's being cut. "It doesn't cut it" in this context means "It isn't enough".

Don't just look at the word "cut". Look at the sentence as a whole. It's an idiomatic expression meaning "It isn't enough".

Status
Not open for further replies.