Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
More than 100 Russian soldiers killed in Atacms strike
Neither Moscow nor Kyiv have commented on the attack, which hit a training base in eastern Ukraine and follows shipment of missiles from US

Source: More than 100 Russian soldiers killed in Atacms strike

The attack happened in the past.
it hit the training base and followed the shipment of missiles.

I think that the "hit" and "follows" parts have to agree. What do you say?

Are you saying "hit" is wrong, or are you saying "follows" is wrong?

Apparently, you think some rule has been violated. However, I see nothing wrong with the original.

I think either that "hit" should be "hits" or that "follows" should be "followed".

The original is correct. Two things are true of the attack:
1. It hit a training base in eastern Ukraine. (The present tense is not possible here.)
2. It follows a shipment of missiles from the US. (The present tense is often used in news reports in this way.)

1. It hit a training base in eastern Ukraine. (The present tense is not possible here.)
2. It follows a shipment of missiles from the US. (The present tense is often used in news reports in this way.)

What makes the present tense not possible to use in 1?

What is the reason the present tense is not possible to use in 1 even though it is possible to use in 2?
The following is also a past-time event.

Last edited:
Back