Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

The first few years of Tom and Donna's marriage were sheer happiness, but then she started complaining that Tom had become too negative. Tom had avoided conflict and just muttered under his breath, but one day his anger burst up like a dam.
"What could make me happy?" he shouted. "My father died last year in a car crash, my business went bust, I'm suffering from osteoarthritis, I hardly survived prostate cancer. I'm sweating blood and tears so that you and children can live a good live, and you tell me I am too negative! Don't you have shame? What do you do the whole day except chatting on your phone, painting your nails and going out with your friends? Maybe you need a younger lover? I've nothing against, but let him pay for your expenses."

Donna stopped putting on her mascara and blushed. "I didn't want to upset you," she said. "I just can't remember the last time I saw you smiling. Don't you remember how often you cracked jokes before?"
Tom shook his head and raked his fingers through his tousled hair, "It's better I say noting," he said. "I'm 42 and can't change. You'd better hire a clown who'll keep you entertained."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

The first few years of Tom and Diana's marriage were sheer happiness, but then she took to complaining that Tom had become too negative.

And:

Tom kept things to himself at first and just muttered under his breath, but one day his anger let loose like a dam bursting.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

"What is there to make me happy?" he shouted?

And:

"I'm sweating blood and tears so you and the children can live good lives."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:
"What do you do all day but chat on the phone, paint your nails and go out with your friends?"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

"Maybe you need a younger lover. I have nothing against that, but let him pay your expenses."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps;

"I didn't mean to upset you," she said. "I just can't remember the last time I saw you smile. Don't you remember how often you used to crack jokes?"

And:

"It's better that I say nothing," he said. "I'm 42 and can't change ...."

Tom talks like an old man. (He's not.) Maybe they all need to go out to IHOP. (International House of Pancakes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.