Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The short answer: to learn to navigate English, you simply need more time listening to how English speakers actual talk. It will take a while, but you'll get there.

Truth!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
. . . Can we close the thread before it escalates?

Sorry. I posted my response before yours appeared. Just another case of simul-posting.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've no intent of escalating the original point, (maybe a mod could break part of the thread out into General Discussion or other appreciate forum) but would like to point out that Popri's question is understandably based on a real linguistic phenomenon in Japanese - Gender differences in Japanese, which was an interesting revelation to me.

Lots of languages tie grammatical aspects to gender. With Navajo, active verbs are considered feminine while stative verbs are considered masculine (although otherwise Navajo doesn't bother with grammatical gender). I know most Semitic languages have a gender marker in the verb conjugation - you don't even need a pronoun. Many languages have different forms for formal and informal address, as well as indicating social rank, so why not along gender lines too?

Robin Lakoff studied and wrote about gender and language usage in English.

Short answer is that while there isn't a formal grammatical difference in 'male' versus 'female' language in English as there is some aspects of Japanese, the two sexes do use language differently. However, I think we've established that the term in question isn't one of those breaking points.

Pretty fascinating stuff, actually - worthy of some research and reading. I'm curious to hear if anybody knows or can find if there are other languages that have at least a semi-formal, grammar- based male/female language differences.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was told by a student of Thai that men and women use different first-person forms.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In Khmer, there are gender-based words for yes.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You know, the notion of having a special way to say 'yes dear' seems like something English is lacking, now that I think about it. ;-)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the sentence in red grammatical? What is the subject of the underlined verb made?

The sentence contained two typos which I've corrected here: I confess, seeing that "women's language" would make you seem "emotional" and "subjective" briefly made me want to scream.

Here's a shorter sentence to illustrate what made means in that sentence: Seeing that made me want to scream.

Status
Not open for further replies.