The pronunciation of 'issue'...

How is the word pronounced by the British speakers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,

The other day I eas watching a clip by Jeremy Harmer in which he, for several times, pronounced the word 'issue' as /ɪsju:/, which I enjoyed a lot! But the question is, what proportion of the British speakers would still pronounce it the same way as Mr Harmer did?

(Another word I hear a different pronunciation of is 'negotiation', pronounced /negəʊsɪ'eɪʃn/!)

Thanks a lot.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi all,

The other day I eas watching a clip by Jeremy Harmer in which he, for several times, pronounced the word 'issue' as /ɪsju:/, which I enjoyed a lot! But the question is, what proportion of the British speakers would still pronounce it the same way as Mr Harmer did?

(Another word I hear a different pronunciation of is 'negotiation', pronounced /negəʊsɪ'eɪʃn/!)

Thanks a lot.

Hey, I think the first one is the pronunciation especially for British speaker while another one is American pronunciation. I may be wrong. So, Please just take this as a reply.:)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi all,

Thanks a lot.
Our Prime Minister says /negəʊsɪ'eɪt/. Everyone makes fun of her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49zF8m7ys24

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
As I know, there should have a "Sh" sound in this word like "i. Shuu", so the phonetic symbol is /ɪʃu:/ because ʃ = Sh.....

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As I know, there should have a "Sh" sound in this word like "i. Shuu", so the phonetic symbol is /ɪʃu:/ because ʃ = Sh.....
There is no 'should' about it. It's a matter of personal choice.

According to John Wells, 40% of speakers of BrE say /ɪʃu:/, 30% /ɪsju:/and 21% /ɪʃju:/. He does not give percentages for 'negotiate', but he gives both ɪ/and /sɪ/versions. Roach et al give no figure, but give both /and /sj/and versions for both words.

I am a /sj/ person.

Wells, J C (2008) Longman Pronunciation Dictionary(3rd edn), Harlow: PearsonLongman.
Roach, Peter; Hartman, James & Setter, Jane (eds) (2003) : Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary, Cambridge: CUP

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thanks a lot.
:up: The /...s...ʃ.../ is, I believe, the older. In that case, the /...ʃ...ʃ.../ version would have come about through - as mentioned elsewhere - assimilation.

b
PS OK, I'll stop banging on about this, but it seems to be the Word of the Day.

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Not very, but not rare either.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Nothing wrong with that pronunciation.
I agree, personally. But you know how people like to take the piss out of pollies. She does have a terrible accent though. During the last election she copped a lot of flack for her excessive r-elision when referring to the Leader of the Opposition, Tony Abbot. "Mr Abbott" always comes out as "Mr. Rabbit". Some of the more cynical commentators thought it might be deliberate.
http://media.theage.com.au/gillard-pulls-a-mr-rabbit-out-of-hat-1706808.html

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Nothing wrong with that pronunciation.

But consider context. That particular comedian is presumably one of the people who think that pronunciation in a way associated with the imperialist oppressors is for pooftahs. ;-)

b

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I had a pooftah once, in the shower, but it began to smell.

matilda

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Spain
Hi all,

Thanks a lot.

In British English I have noticed /isju/ is more common in RP speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.