Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello, I just found the sentence below on a book (source: Hackers TEPS vocabulary)

"The rates for hotels are usually higher the closer they are to the beach."

I think the sentence above seems to have the same meaning of the sentence 'The closer hotels are to the beach, the higher the rates for hotels are" but the structure of the question sentence (The rates for hotels are usually higher the closer they are to the beach) has only one 'the + comparative'. (compare to - 'The more adventurous it is, the more I like it.' (<- it has two 'the + comparative' ('the more adventurous' and 'the more')

Can I understand this structure is a rare case of 'the comparative, the comparative'?

Please let me know the rule of this structure of the sentence (The rates for hotels are usually higher the closer they are to the beach - one 'the + comparative' with no conjunction)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think the sentence above seems to have the same meaning of the sentence 'The closer hotels are to the beach, the higher the rates for hotels are"

That's right.

but the structure of the question sentence (The rates for hotels are usually higher the closer they are to the beach) has only one 'the + comparative'. (compare to - 'The more adventurous it is, the more I like it.' (<- it has two 'the + comparative' ('the more adventurous' and 'the more')

Can I understand this structure is a rare case of 'the comparative, the comparative'?

Yes, but it isn't very rare. There are still two comparative phrases (higher and closer to the beach), which is the important thing. It's just a different way of expressing the idea.

Please let me know the rule of this structure of the sentence (The rates for hotels are usually higher the closer they are to the beach - one 'the + comparative' with no conjunction)

How about you try to write a sentence yourself with the same structure and we give you feedback on it? That might be a better way for you to understand and familiarise yourself with this new form of expression.

Lemon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
That's right.

Yes, but it isn't very rare. There are still two comparative phrases (higher and closer to the beach), which is the important thing. It's just a different way of expressing the idea.

How about you try to write a sentence yourself with the same structure and we give you feedback on it? That might be a better way for you to understand and familiarise yourself with this new form of expression.
Thanks a lot! jutfrank :)

What about the sentence below? I just wrote a sentence with the structure as you suggested

'It is more dangerous to drive the faster it is'

Can I ask one more question? I just feel like 'the' in front of the comparative 'closer' (in the sentence 'The rates for hotels are usually higher the closer they are to the beach') serves as a conjunction, not the definite article). Is this right?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks a lot! jutfrank :)

What about the sentence below? I just wrote a sentence with the structure as you suggested

'It is more dangerous to drive the faster it is'

Can I ask one more question? I just feel like 'the' in front of the comparative 'closer' (in the sentence 'The rates for hotels are usually higher the closer they are to the beach') serves as a conjunction, not the definite article). Is this right?
Try: "The faster you drive the riskier it is."

Lemon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

Tarheel

VIP Member