Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Click here and bookmark the site for future reference.

magic dragon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Sorry, I miswrote again. In my reply to emsr2d2, I wrote 'I have to think "wrong X" is always preceded by "the'. Of course I know you can say a wrong turn, a wrong idea, a wrong answer ---etc. I should have written 'I have to think "wrong bus (/train / road/ --)" is always preceded by "the"'.
In whatever way you use "wrong bus, train, road ---", choice or judgement is always made.
Is my idea right?
Sorry for my carelessness and for annoying you.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Context is everything (I'm not going to pretend there's any particular logic). The following are all natural:

I'm sorry I'm late. I got on the wrong bus. (Yes, even though more than one wrong bus was possible.)
I'm sorry I'm late. I took a wrong turn!
Sorry I'm late. Even though you gave me clear directions, I still managed to take the wrong turn at the leisure centre junction. (Even though more than one wrong turn was [probably] possible.)
I nearly missed my flight because I went to the wrong gate! (More than one wrong gate was possible unless the airport only has two gates.)
There were twenty possible options in my English exercise. I managed to pick the wrong word five times! (Each wrong guess was, no doubt, different.)

magic dragon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
---You said context is everything.
I agree, but I think it goes well with my attempt to find a rule.
I thank you for your giving examples. I find all of them quite natural.
Usually I try to be as reasonable as possible in teaching my students, but at the same time try to stress the importance of context, and the naturalness of sentences or passages. Sometimes I talk about the author's style. I know well language (including the Japanese language) isn't a system of reasoning.
Oh I remember a few years ago I recommended to my students a fairly tale named "Elsie Piddock sleeps in her sleep" by Eleanor Fargeon.
Thank you.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
One of the things it's important to impress upon students of English is that articles and prepositions are quite possibly the hardest aspects to master. I encourage my students to try to make a note of every example of prepositions and articles they come across when they're reading in English (or listening to native speakers). When there is no particular logic or "rule" that can be applied, they simply have to memorise them and accept that it's just how we speak!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You've also received detailed answers in WordReference forums.

I'm closing this thread so that our members don't need to waste any more time on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.