Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The United States has deployed a second aircraft carrier to the Mediterranean “to deter hostile actions against Israel or any efforts toward widening this war”, as residents of Gaza City fled south to escape an expected Israeli ground attack in response to a murderous rampage by Hamas last weekend that left at least 1,300 people dead.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...invasion-israel-us-second-carrier-group-hamas
-----
Why is "deploy" in the present perfect while "flee" in the past simple? Why not just use present perfect or past simple for them both?

FYI, ChatGPT's answer.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
ChatGP is a computer program. It doesn't really understand the sentences it analyzes. As you probably have already guessed, I disagree with ChatGP. I think "flee" makes much more sense there. The two things are taking place at the same time. The one thing is happening at the same time the other thing is happening. In a sense, ChatGPT has more brainpower than me, but it doesn't know what a sentence is. It doesn't even know what it is.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I too think the present simple 'flee' is more appropriate since the fleeing is still happening, as far as I know.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I too think the present simple 'flee' is more appropriate since the fleeing is still happening, as far as I know.
a. ... as residents of Gaza City flee south ...
b. ... as residents of Gaza City are fleeing south ...

What is the difference in meaning between them? Would they both work in this context?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, they would both work but the simple form is better in such a news story.