the value of something in something or to something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Which one is better?

1. Working at that company taught me to appreciate the value of carrying out research to enhance the mental health of students.

2. Working at that company taught me to appreciate the value of carrying out research in enhancing the mental health of students.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Firstly, I don't think enhance is a good word choice for what I suspect you mean. Secondly, I dislike both of your sentences, for different reasons.

You do research on a particular thing, and in a general field.

Also, tell us what the point of this question is. The pattern as written in your thread title doesn't really exist. Which preposition to use depends on what you mean, which at the moment is not obvious. Are you trying to connect to and in to the word value somehow? Or do you mean to use the infinitive to (enhance) in the sense of 'in order to'?

Last edited:

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Firstly, I don't think enhance is a good word choice for what I suspect you mean. Secondly, I dislike both of your sentences, for different reasons.

You do research on a particular thing, and in a general field.

Also, tell us what the point of this question is. The pattern as written in your thread title doesn't really exist. Which preposition to use depends on what you mean, which at the moment is not obvious. Are you trying to connect to and in to the word value somehow? Or do you mean to use the infinitive to (enhance) in the sense of 'in order to'?

What verb should I use? Improve?

It's not a practice. It's sentence I have written about a person who has worked for research company and wants to express the significance of research.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What verb should I use? Improve?

That's a lot better, yes.

It's not a practice. It's sentence I have written about a person who has worked for research company and wants to express the significance of research.

Okay. So please tell us clearly what you mean. What is the entire phrase after research supposed to mean? Do you want a sense of 'in order to' or not?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
That's a lot better, yes.

Okay. So please tell us clearly what you mean. What is the entire phrase after research supposed to mean? Do you want a sense of 'in order to' or not?

I want to say that if we want to improve the mental health of students, we need to do a lot research. And I want to say that I learned the value of and importance of research as it relates to improving their mental health.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I wouldn't use a verb- I'd use the preposition into.

If I understand correctly, the OP doesn't mean that.

alpacinoutd, I think this is along the lines of you want to say:

My experience working at that company taught me the importance of doing research in contributing to improving students' mental health.

Does that sound right? I'm still not sure what it means. What's the relation between doing research and the improvement of mental health? Is it the carrying out of research that's important (as you're suggesting) or the knowledge gained by the research? How is that? Did you learn how important something is or did you learn to appreciate the importance of that thing? It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
My experience working at that company taught me the importance of doing research in contributing to improving students' mental health.

I had no idea Obi-Wan Kenobi can read minds but that is exactly what I wanted to say.:)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think "doing" adds anything.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Which one is better?

1. Working at that company taught me to appreciate the value of carrying out research to enhance the mental health of students.

2. Working at that company taught me to appreciate the value of carrying out research in enhancing the mental health of students.

Is the company you worked at in the business of doing research to enhance students' mental health? Who pays your company to do it?

Mental health is a very broad term. What exactly do you mean by that?

Morgan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Ukraine
NOT A TEACHER and NOT A NATIVE SPEAKER

How about "Working at that company taught me to appreciate the value of conducting the research on/researching the issue of students' mental health"?
Or "Working at that company taught me to appreciate the value of researching the methods to improve students' mental health"?

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
How about "...of carrying out the research on/researching the issue of students' mental health"?

No, that's not what the OP means, apparently.

Or "...of carrying out the research featuring improving students' mental health."

That's incorrect and doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.