Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Today I talked about Chinese idioms and English idioms because some of them mean exactly the same. However, I also added:

There are many idioms in English make sense in Chinese but not idiomatic English at all.

I wanted express that "there are many idioms written in English can be understood in Chinese but they are not idiomaitc English at all, probably those idioms in English were translated from Chinese".

Is my sentence natural?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"There are many idioms written in English that can be understood in Chinese but [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] are not idiomatic English at all. Probably those idioms in English were translated from Chinese".

I doubt if there are many idioms in English, translated or otherwise, that are not idiomatic English.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"There are many idioms written in English that can be understood in Chinese but [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] are not idiomatic English at all. Probably those idioms in English were translated from Chinese".

I doubt if there are many idioms in English, translated or otherwise, that are not idiomatic English.

Much appreciated, 5jj.

"Long time no see" is an example. However, it is well understood and natural English to be an English idiom. I'd like to give you five idioms written in English and see how many of them you understand. :-D

1) People mountain people sea.

I saw a people mountain people sea downtown today.

2) Good good study, day day up.

As a student, what you need is only good good study, day day up.

3) Give one color to see see.

I'll give him color to see see because last time he teased me.

These are just a few common examples and I could go on. Anyway, they were Chinglish and well understood by us. Sometimes you can even read idioms which are idiomatic-English sounding but they're not or very old-fashioned. I collected many and was told that they are very bad English proverbs, idioms and phrases.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Much appreciated, 5jj.

"Long time no see" is an example. It is well understood and natural English. I'd like to give you five idioms written in English and see how many of them you understand. :-D

1) People mountain people sea.

I saw a people mountain people sea downtown today.

No.

2) Good good study, day day up.

As a student, what you need is only good good study, day day up.

No.

3) Give one color to see see.

I'll give him color to see see because last time he teased me.

No.

These are just a few common examples and I could go on. Anyway, they were Chinglish and well understood by us. Sometimes you can even read idioms which are idiomatic-English sounding but they're not or very old-fashioned. I collected many and was told that they are very bad English proverbs, idioms and phrases.

They are not bad English. Those expressions simply don't exist in English. (I'm willing to be proven wrong.)

Status
Not open for further replies.