They say it as "don't", but I'm not sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I bet he thought-- he wished he was invisible, don't you?"

The speaker pronounces the n't as a nasal followed by glottal stop. This is one common way to say it. Americans would be more likely to pronounce don't you like /d/ followed by "own chew", though we also use the nasal glottal stop pronunciation.

Last edited:
Thank you! Сould you give me the exact transcription of "don't you" as he's pronouncing it?

Thank you! Сould you give me the exact transcription of "don't you" as he's pronouncing it?

I don't know how to do phonetic transcriptions, sorry.

And what about "ain't he?" instead of "don't you"? Is it possible here?

Do you mean, if he hadn't said "don't you", could he say ain't he? No, that wouldn't make sense and wouldn't fit with the register of English he's using.

As a substitute for have not or has not and—occasionally in Southern speech— do not, does not, and did not, it is nonstandard except in similar humorous uses: You ain't heard nothin' yet!
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ain-t?s=t

It is humorous video, isn't it? :)

He says "I bet he thought-- he wished he was invisible, don't you?" Ain't he wouldn't make sense at the end of that statement. He's addressing the audience, so the pronoun you is the only one possible, and ain't can't substitute for "don't".

Besides, he very clearly says "don't". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back