Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
In a job application letter, which one is correct: I would be willing to come to work to your company or I would be willing to come work to your company. Can 'to' be omitted?

Say 'I would be willing to come to work for your company'.

It's a strange thing to say. Sending in an application letter suggests you would not be unwilling to work for the company.

I agree that it doesn't appear right for an application letter. Why exactly are you using would? Are you trying to suggest that your willingness is conditional?

Just to sound polite, but apparently it sounds strange. Is it better to say 'I am willing to come...'?

I can't see why you feel a need to say that you're willing. Surely, the fact that you're applying means that you're willing, right?

What exactly is the message that you want to communicate here?

The job application itself is an indication of your desire to work for the company. Saying that you are willing to do so suggests that they asked you if you would like to work for the company.

Saying that you are willing to do so suggests that they asked you if you would like to work for the company.

Yes. And it also conveys the sense that you don't really want to, but that you'll do it in order to help them out.

There was a discussion between my colleagues on different English phrases in job applications. "I would be willing to come..." was one of them and there were different kinds of opinions on this. Actually the basic question concerned the structure "... willing to come to work ... " / "... willing to come work ..." but I got an answer to that. But it was good that you made comments on the use of 'willingness', too. Thank you!

Back