Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Italy
Hi! This is my first post, so I am a bit unfamiliar with how this works! My question is as follows. I was teaching today and the following sentence came up: 'I got fed up with my diet so I'm back to eating normally now!' One of my students asked me if the following sentence is also correct: 'I have got fed up with my diet (...) now'. He argued that a present perfect would be correct as there is no specific time indication in this sentence and therefore a past simple would not suffice. What do you think? Thank you in advance :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, ThisisPam. :)

I'd say the past simple is correct - the getting tired of the diet is past-time. Compare:

I've got fed up with my diet so I'm going to start eating normally now.
I got fed up with my diet so I'm back to eating normally now,

ThisisPam23

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Italy
Thank you so much! Because the present perfect would indicate that the person is still tired of the diet, but that's not true, as he's back to normal right now?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Because the present perfect would indicate that the person is still tired of the diet, but that's not true, as he's back to normal right now?
Surely you would tell your students that that's not really a question, right?

Did you notice how @5jj used example sentences for explaining things?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Because the present perfect would indicate that the person is still tired of the diet, but that's not true, as he's back to normal right now?

Basically, yes.

The present perfect is not right for this sentence. We understand that getting fed up is like a past event given as a cause of the present situation. More to the point, your student has badly misunderstood if he really thinks that the fact that there's no specific time indication means the present perfect has to be used.

ThisisPam23

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Italy
Thank you all! I am a new teacher and this was my first time teaching this student, so sometimes doubt takes over. Thank you very much!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You're welcome, Pam.

You're going to find that when you're teaching, questions come up all the time that you're not quite sure how to answer. Please don't hesitate to ask us any questions that you may have. We're very happy to help.