Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What does she mean by the bold part?

Girl: I thanked him for the perfect kicker quote and hung up the phone.
Girl's fiance: The whole office gave her a standing ovation.
Girl's friend: And you ran it?
Girl: Oh,heck, yeah, I ran it. Where I come from, you never miss an opportunity to serve a bully a slice of humble pie.

The Glass Castle, movie

Google the expression "humble pie".

Google the expression "humble pie".
It's: [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a figurative serving of humiliation usually in the form of a forced submission, apology, or retraction [/FONT][FONT=&quot]—often used in the phrase eat humble pie

But can you please write which meaning of 'humble' and 'pie' is used in a dictionary?[/FONT]

You can't take the literal meanings of "humble" and "pie" to get the meaning of "humble pie". It's a fixed two-word phrase, usually as part of the longer fixed phrase "to eat humble pie".

Click here to read about the origin of the expression.

It's: a figurative serving of humiliation usually in the form of a forced submission, apology, or retraction —often used in the phrase eat humble pie

But can you please write which meaning of 'humble' and 'pie' is used in a dictionary?

Idioms are phrases where the dictionary meaning of the individual words does not add up to the meaning off the phrase. Eat crow is similar- it means to be humiliated for being wrong about something, and has little to do with the dictionary definitions of the individual words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back