Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

A friend of mine loves playing video games and his favorite is FIFA22. He knows how to play and sometimes he can impress others when he uses some characters to score, but all in all, he’s not the best play of FIFA22 among his friends. Is it natural to say:

FIFA22 is still a tough nut for him to crack.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
No, a tough nut to crack is someone or something which is difficult deal with. Your friend may not be an expert in the game but it cannot be considered a "tough nut" to him.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Anyone who can help me with an alternative.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He's an avid player, but he hasn't mastered the game yet.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A friend of mine loves playing video games and his favorite is FIFA space here 22.
You must write titles the same way the company that makes them does.
He knows how to play and Sometimes, he can impress others when he uses some certain characters to score no comma here but, all in all, he’s not the best player of FIFA space here 22 among his friends.
There's no reason to say he knows how to play it. You already told us it's his favourite game. It would be very odd for him not to know how to play it.
Using "all in all" there doesn't work for me. However, when it is used, it should have a comma before it and after it.
Is it natural to say the following?
You needed to make this a complete question. The way you wrote it left nowhere for you to put the question mark.
FIFA space here 22 is still a tough nut for him to crack.
I wouldn't use the phrase "tough nut to crack" in this context. I'd say something like "He's good but there's room for improvement" or "He's good but he could be better".

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi.

A friend of mine loves playing video games and his favorite is FIFA22. He knows how to play and sometimes he can impress others when he uses some characters to score, but all in all, he’s not the best play of FIFA22 among his friends. Is it natural to say:

FIFA22 is still a tough nut for him to crack.

I think the sentence itself is fine, but it just doesn't quite fit the context you're describing. If you simply want to express that he's having difficulty beating the game, then it's okay. However, it doesn't really have anything to do with his lack of skill.

See some other examples of the expression in use.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/a hard/tough nut (to crack)