Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I have a tendency to start sentences with "This". Maybe because I usually write blogs in a conversational language and try to refer back to the last sentence where "this" becomes a good fit. I have recently started using Grammarly, which flags the initial "This" citing "unclear antecedent". My Question: Is this practice a bad style? Shall I always change so I do not begin with "This"? An example is below. How would you rephrase it to remove "this" but still have two sentences?

"The interface between BBU and RU is a proprietary one. This has been traditionally like this for years"

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It has been traditionally like this for years

mfaisalk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
It has been traditionally like this for years
Starting with "it" or "this"....seems the concern (unclear antecedent) is still there....

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I have a tendency to start sentences with "This", maybe because I usually write blogs in conversational language and try to refer back to the last sentence where "this" becomes a good fit. I have recently started using Grammarly, which flags the initial "This" citing "unclear antecedent". My Question: Is this practice a bad style?
Not necessarily.
Shall Should I always change so I do try not begin with "This"? An example is given below. How would you rephrase it to remove "this" but still have two sentences?

"The interface between BBU and RU is a proprietary one. This has been traditionally like this for years"
What are BBU and RU?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Starting with "it" or "this"....seems the concern (unclear antecedent) is still there....
No, "it" refers to the preceding sentence/statement/situation.

mfaisalk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
No, "it" refers to the preceding sentence/statement/situation.
Yes, "this" also refers to preceding sentence/statement/situation. I do not see any difference using "it" or "this"

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Say "This has been the case for years".

mfaisalk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Say "This has been the case for years".
The interface between BBU and RU is a proprietary one. This has been the case for years.

I just checked. Grammarly is flagging "This" in second sentence with "Unclear antecedent". Attaching screenshot.142 June27-22-11-14.png

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The antecedent is clear enough.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Grammarly can only make informed guesses about how clear the reference is. In the example teechar provides in post #8, the antecedent is very clear. Your original sentence is different in that you've used the word this twice in the same sentence. In that sentence, you need to start with a dummy pronoun (it) which serves a grammatical role rather than a semantic one: It has been like this for years.

Plus, it isn't normally any clearer if you use it instead of this, generally speaking. The difference between these two words is complicated, and doesn't have so much to do with clarity as with the kind of reference made. As a learner, you'll develop a sense of the difference with experience.

In the meantime, it just may be that Grammarly is giving you poor suggestions. Remember that machines cannot really understand the meaning of any piece of writing. Subtlety in reference is an especially difficult area to program for. Feel free to post specific sentences to this forum if you're uncertain in future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.