We all listened with great interest to the speaker criticizing the new book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. You've probably let your ESL teachers deceive you. Most of them don't know what gerunds are.
I think that most of the hundreds of EFL/ESL teachers I've worked with in the fifty[three years since I started in this line would be bemused by your ignorance of what they know and don't know.

Phaedrus

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think that most of the hundreds of EFL/ESL teachers I've worked with in the fifty[three years since I started in this line would be bemused by your ignorance of what they know and don't know.

Would their bemusement be comparable to my bemusement by your own ignorance (or stubborn unwillingness to concede the obvious) in this regard? When I teach ESL grammar courses at the college at which I am an ESL professor, I explain the mistakenness of the textbook when we get to the topic of gerunds; then I go ahead and use the word "gerund" as the textbook does, but in scare quotes, having explained why verbs are not nouns even when the verb phrase functions as a substantive!

Last edited:

Phaedrus

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, the United Nations is stepping in now. This is descending into a slanging match. It doesn't matter what section of the forum it's in, it's unnecessary and it's not helping learners. If anyone would like to continue this discussion, please do so by PM.

Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.