Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I read this part, "went down to the Unicorn to see that the longroom was ready", but am finding it difficult to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

“No,” he went on more quietly, “Perhaps I won’t resign—but I’m going to give them the shock of their lives—I’m going to make them crawl to me with at humping big vote of thanks before I do anything else.”

She knew that he slept very little in the nights that followed. In the evenings he worked with greater care than ever on the minutes for the General Meeting, and twice went down to the Unicorn to see that the longroom was ready for the Thursday. He wrote a number of jocular postcards to some of the older Members and told them not to be lazy—and to turn up for the meeting.

- R. C. Sherriff, The Fortnight in September, Chapter 9

This is a novel published in 1931, which describes a fortnight in September in which an English family consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Stevens, Mary, Dick, and Ernie go on a holiday. While traveling by the train to the holiday destination, Mrs. Stevens is remembering the time when she saw her husband planning to resign from his Football Club, for which he had served as Secretary for many years.

Here, I wonder what this "Unicorn" might be in particular.
I vaguely guess that it might be a regional name in the UK (where this "longroom" exists), but I couldn't find anything, so I wanted to ask for your help.

In case this might be helpful, here are two other instances where this "Unicorn" appears:
(1) Then he had buttoned up his coat, lit his pipe and gone out into the drizzling rain down Corunna Road and round the corner to the Unicorn.

(2) It had never been his habit at home to go into the saloon bar of the Unicorn, or any other local public house—not because he disapproved, but simply because he preferred his glass of beer with his supper, and, after a day in the office, liked a walk in the open air before going to bed.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Your second extract tells us very clearly that the Unicorn was a public house. The longroom is presumably a room in the pub that people could hire for meetings.

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@5jj and @Barque,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
Oh, so "the Unicorn" is a public house where alcoholic drinks are served!
And "longroom" here would be a "long room", which means an assembly room, which can be hired in this public house by customers for meetings.

My mystery is solved all thanks to you! I truly appreciate your help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.