Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In the captions of the movie The Lord of the Rings, there are two sentences with the word 'birdses' in 'No, no birdses to eat. No crunchable birdses.' What does 'birdses' mean? There is no such word as birdses in the dictionaries I use.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Gollum typically reduplicates plural nouns with 'es', refers to himself in third person plural while conjugating in third person singular, snf addresses others as third person neuter. His speech also varies somewhat depending upon which of his split personalities is currently in control (Smeagol or Gollum).

The name 'Gollum' actually comes from his peculiar throat-clearing noise he makes.

From The Hobbit:
"Bless us and splash us, my precioussss! I guess it's a choice feast; at least a tasty morsel it'd make us, gollum!" And when he said gollum he made a horrible swallowing noise in his throat. That is how he got his name, though he always called himself 'my precious.'

See also Corpus Linguistic Analysis of the Idiolects of Gollum and Sméagol :ROFLMAO:

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Gollum needs to become a member of UsingEnglish. When he says birdses, we say birds’. ;)
Gollum typically reduplicates plural nouns with 'es', refers to himself in third person plural while conjugating in third person singular, snf addresses others as third person neuter. His speech also varies somewhat depending upon which of his split personalities is currently in control (Smeagol or Gollum).

The name 'Gollum' actually comes from his peculiar throat-clearing noise he makes.

From The Hobbit:

See also Corpus Linguistic Analysis of the Idiolects of Gollum and Sméagol :ROFLMAO:
Perhaps Gollum should become a member of a different forum! :eek:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Perhaps Gollum should become a member of a different forum! :eek:
Maybe we should all join "Using Gollumese" before watching the films!

Status
Not open for further replies.