[General] What is/are the most dangerous animal(s)?

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
1) What is the most dangerous animal?
2) What are the most dangerous animals?

Are both questions right and commonly used? If so, would the answers to them be as it follows?

1) The most dangerous animal is the lion./The lion is the most dangerous animal.
2) The most dangerous animals are lions./Lions are the most dangerous animals.

Last edited:

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
Yes, you're correct in all cases, though for semantic accuracy I would change "lion" to "human being"!

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) What is the most dangerous animal?
2) What are the most dangerous animals?

They're both grammatical, but some might interpret the second one as asking for multiple species.

What are the most dangerous animals?
The most dangerous animals are mosquitoes, humans, and snakes. (according to this list and this list)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1) The most dangerous animal is the lion/The lion is the most dangerous animal
2) The most dangerous animals are lions/Lions are the most dangerous animals
These are all incorrect as they lack full stops/periods.

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I find those links interesting. Are the sites reliable enough to be used as a source of further study for those preparing for IELTS exam? I am lacking in general ideas in writing and speaking skills, in particular. Last week I took my IELTS test. One question was about “voluntary work for children”. I couldn’t explain how to expose children to as much voluntary work as possible. I might lose marks. How can I improve my general knowledge?
Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you.

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
In examinations such as IELTS, you are being tested on your command of English, not on your knowledge of the world or on your attitudes.

I think I should have some ideas to be able to have strong arguments.
When an examiner asked me "Explain ways to expose children to as much voluntary work as possible" and I don't know how to expose children to such work, and I lacked ideas, and couldn't say more than one sentence, how can I get a good mark by getting a good command of English?
Indeed how to get a good command of English? To be honest I don't understand exactly what having a good command of English means.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Having a good command of English" simply means using English well, clearly and effectively, taking your current level of English into consideration. It means that you can express your ideas in grammatical English so that they are understandable to the listener.

As Piscean said, it's not a test of your general knowledge, just a test of your English.

With regard to the specific question you were asked by your examiner, that doesn't even come into the realms of general knowledge - that is a knowledge of facts (capitals of countries, longest river in the world, currency used in Brazil etc). I've never been asked to come up with ideas for how children can be exposed to voluntary work but since starting to write this post, I have come up with the following:

Tell them about voluntary work and workers from an early age.
Take them to a local group run by volunteers.
Become a volunteer yourself and talk to your child about it.
Ask if you can take your child with you one day when you're volunteering.
Find websites about voluntary work and show them to the child.
If you happen to pass someone who is clearly doing voluntary work, point them out to the child.
Arrange for a representative from a volunteer group or charity to come in and talk at your local school.

Out of curiosity, what was the one sentence you managed to come up when you were asked?

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Out of curiosity, what was the one sentence you managed to come up when you were asked?
Thank you Emsr2d2. I just told the examiner that elderly homes are where children could pay a visit regularly to do some voluntary work.:roll: I didn't have those ideas you mentioned.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you think you would have had more ideas if you'd been asked the question in your native language (and been expected to respond in your native language too)?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you Emsr2d2. I just told the examiner that elderly homes are where children could pay a visit regularly to do some voluntary work.:roll: I didn't have those ideas you mentioned.

Those are called nursing homes. And the people who live in those places don't get enough visitors.

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Do you think you would have had more ideas if you'd been asked the question in your native language (and been expected to respond in your native language too)?
That is exactly my biggest problem. I haven't any ideas even in my own language.