[Grammar] when to use them or themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ran mohd

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Jordan
Current Location
Jordan
Hi,
I need to know how to use "them" and "themselves" like in these sentences, can someone help me choosing one and telling why?

"They are harming every living creature including them/ themselves",,, and can we say in this sentence " them themselves" all at once?
"All the bad activities human do reflect to them/ themselves", and can we say here "them themselves"?
I'd appreciate it if someone helps.
Thanks

As a general rule, we can only use a reflexive pronoun if the antecedent has already been used. In both of your sentences, that condition was fulfilled, so "themselves" works. In your second sentence, "human" should be "humans" and I would change "to" to "on". "Them themselves" does not work.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

There is no need to write a new post just to say "Thank you". It makes us think there is new information or a follow-up question and we spend time opening the thread. Simply click on the "Thank" button at the bottom left-hand corner of any post you find helpful.

You can't say 'them themselves', but sometimes you'll see 'they themselves'.

• [*=left]
    [*=left]Meanwhile, WebM, the new codec Google is backing, is one they themselves created.
    techcrunch.com
    [*=left]They themselves are not going hungry, but live in villages where hunger is real.
    [*=left] cnn.com
    [*=left]But they themselves are as white and middle-aged as were Ronnie and Reggie Kray.
    [*=left] economist.com
    [*=left]That way, in future, they themselves will insist bank management is more prudent.
    [*=left] economist.com
    [*=left]They themselves agreed that they were under Chinese suzerainty at Simla in 1914.
    [*=left] economist.com
    [*=left]Naturally, they designed a republic in which they themselves would have a place.
  • (fraze.it.com)

Last edited:
In every case, "themselves" could be easily omitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back