While these introductory comments capture key aspects are a fair characterization

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
While these introductory comments capture key aspects are a fair characterization of the legacy of the HGP 20 years on, a separate challenge sets limits on the potential for studies of germ line variants to predict common disease. The vast source of between-person variation in risk lies in environmental for the bulk of chronic disease, ie, cardiovascular, cancer, obesity/diabetes and renal disease. The determining role of risk exposure therefore sets an upper bound for genetic factors - both at the aggregate or population level, and to a lesser extent between-person risk. Although this dynamic is acknowledged in passing, it has never been adequately appreciated within the field of genomics.

Source: Science The human genome: A Research Ultramarathon

What is the subject of "are"? In the phrase "While these introductory comments capture key aspects are a fair characterization...", "key aspects" appears to be the object of "capture" and not assume the role of being the subject of "are". Something seems missing there. I don't what is missing. Can you figure it out?

The best I've now got is "key aspects which are a fair characterization of the legacy".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think your analysis is correct.

In an article like that rather than dwell on one sentence too long I would just keep reading until it was explained to me.

In online articles the proofreading is not always of the highest quality. (That's assuming there is a proofreader.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Well done for noticing that the sentence is ungrammatical. My feeling is that the writer meant this:

While these introductory comments capture key aspects and are a fair characterization of the legacy of the HGP 20 years on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.