rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I spent some time in a university and learnt different things. What I learnt, I tried to express those learnings in the following paragraph. Could you please check the grammatical mistakes in the following paragraph to improve it further?

On March 22nd, I joined XYZ university and on April 15th work-from-home was implemented. Between this period, I got the chance to visit different areas of the university campus and met several key people. All were professional as well as cordial. I am now in position to tell anybody where particular faculty sits and where his or her office is or where a particular building is situated within a campus. I am now well familiar with the area of the campus. Further, online induction program was organized that helped me to learn the vision of the university and also I got the insight of working of different departments in terms of their way of working and what the hierarchy of that department was.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I spent some time [STRIKE]in a[/STRIKE] at university and learnt different things. Of course you learnt "different things". That's what university is for!

[STRIKE]What I learnt,[/STRIKE] I have tried to [STRIKE]express[/STRIKE] write about [STRIKE]those learnings[/STRIKE] some of the things I learnt in the following paragraph. Could you please check [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] it for grammatical mistakes? [STRIKE]in the following paragraph to improve it further?[/STRIKE]

On March 22nd, I joined XYZ university and on April 15th the work-from-home rule was [STRIKE]implemented[/STRIKE] brought in. Between [STRIKE]this period[/STRIKE] those dates, I got the chance to visit different areas of the university campus and [STRIKE]met[/STRIKE] to meet several key people.

All of them were professional [STRIKE]as well as[/STRIKE] and cordial. It's more natural to say "friendly".

I am now in a position to tell anybody where any particular faculty member sits, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] where his or her office is, or where a particular building is [STRIKE]situated within a[/STRIKE] on the campus.

I am now [STRIKE]well[/STRIKE] very familiar with [STRIKE]the area of[/STRIKE] the campus.

Furthermore, I attended an online induction program [STRIKE]was organized[/STRIKE] that helped me to learn about the vision of the university. [STRIKE]and also[/STRIKE] I also got [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] an insight [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] into [STRIKE]working of[/STRIKE] different departments in terms of their way of working and [STRIKE]what[/STRIKE] their hierarchy. [STRIKE]of that department was.[/STRIKE]

Note my corrections above.

I'm confused. Were you a student at the university or an employee? You have a habit of making your sentences far too long, and using "and" and "also" too often. While you're still learning, try to write shorter sentences.

rajan

Member Type
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am an employee at the university. I am sorry if any of my posts gives you an impression that I am a student at the university.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To make that clear, you could have started with something like "I spent some time working at a university".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To make that clear, you could have started with something like "I spent some time working at a university".
Yes, Rajan, especially since you start by saying you learned things. That's what students do — at least sometimes!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Learnt different things

How about learnt a lot about the workings of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.