You’ve got the T-Rex, which is conflict, so this is argument ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From BBC 6-minute English]

(1)
Emily Alison
I often describe rapport-building in relationships is, er, like walking a tightrope because you really do need to maintain that balance of being objective, treating people with compassion, but that doesn’t mean I’m sympathetic, I’m collusive – it’s that balance between judgement and avoidance.
------
(2)
Georgina
Here’s Emily talking to BBC Radio 4’s ‘All In The Mind’ about the fourth animal, the T-Rex. Try to listen out for the communication style of this personality:

Emily Alison
You’ve got the T-Rex, which is conflict, so this is argument, whether you’re approaching it from a positive position where you can be direct, frank about your message or you approach that in a negative way by being... attacking, judgemental, argumentative, sarcastic, and that actually breeds the same behaviour back. So anyone who has teenagers will 100% recognise that (laugh). If you meet sarcasm with sarcasm, it’s only gonna go one way.
----
Questions:

(1)
Are the structures of them as follows?

a. ... that balance of being objective, [and] treating people with compassion ... (i.e., that balance of being [A] and )

b. ... but that doesn’t mean I’m sympathetic, [or] I’m collusive ...

(2)
What does the blue part mean? Does it mean that the T-Rex type is a conflict communication style, so when you communicate with that kind of person, there is often an argument?
----
(Source)

(1) [2:07-2:27] (2) [3:08-3:52]

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes to everything.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Did anyone else find that painful to listen to?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Boring/tedious/unnatural.
Yes, I echo Tdol's comment. More broadly, I've gone right off the BBC.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Apart from them being boring, tedious, unnatural, a bit conceited and painful to listen to, I thought they were OK. ;-)

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Have you all forgotten the quality of the material kadioguy was listening to before?!

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Emily Alison: You’ve got the T-Rex, which is conflict, so this is argument, whether you’re approaching it from a positive position where you can be direct, frank about your message or you approach that in a negative way by being... attacking, judgemental, argumentative, sarcastic, and that actually breeds the same behaviour back. So anyone who has teenagers will 100% recognise that (laugh). If you meet sarcasm with sarcasm, it’s only gonna go one way.

What does "you've got" here mean? Does it mean something like "the next one you will know about is the T-Rex"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does "you've got" here mean? Does it mean something like "the next one you will know about is the T-Rex"?
No. It's something like The T-Rex is something that's present in your life; something that you have to deal with.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Yes, that's right.. You could understand you've got to mean something like 'there is'. What she's doing here is presenting to us the four different styles. Imagine I lay on a plate before you three delicious but unfamiliar-looking cakes and then proceed to explain to you what they are. I might say 'You've got A ..., you've got B ..., you've got C ....'.

It's something like The T-Rex is something that's present in your life; something that you have to deal with.

I don't think that's what she means. She's using these animals to represent different communication styles. The idea I think is that different people, having different personalities, will tend to adopt one particular dominant communication style. In this respect, you can generalise to say that 'she's a T-Rex', 'he's a monkey', and so on.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Apart from them being boring, tedious, unnatural, a bit conceited and painful to listen to, I thought they were OK. ;-)

The roads and the viticulture.

Status
Not open for further replies.