Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wonder what is the difference between " Your hair can crack steel when it hits the right spot" and "Your hair can crack steel if it hits the right spot."

Since "if" means "in case that", the both sentences seems to convey the same meaning with a slightly different style. I am not sure because I don't know what you native speakers feel about "when" and "if".

===================
Your hair can crack steel when it hits the right spot

Although your hair is much softer than steel, razors typically only last for a handful of shaves. Previously, researchers attributed this to the sharp edge gradually wearing down after each use. But a new study reveals a different process at play.

Researchers used a powerful electron microscope to observe how the razor blades change after shaving. Instead of the razor slowly and evenly losing its sharp edge, they instead saw the formation of tiny cracks, then large chips of steel flaking off the edge of the blade.

Source: Science By Meagan Cantwell Aug. 12, 2020 , 12:00 PM
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/08/your-hair-can-crack-steel-when-it-hits-right-spot

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wonder what the difference is between " Your hair can crack steel when it hits the right spot" and "Your hair can crack steel if it hits the right spot."

Not much.

Since "if" means "in case that", the both sentences seems to convey the same meaning with a slightly different style.

Yup.

I am not sure because I don't know how you native speakers feel about "when" and "if".

I feel good about them.
Sometimes only one or the other makes sense. In your example, either is good and would mean the same thing.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Since "if" means "in case that", the both sentences seems to convey the same meaning

It is unnatural to say "the both sentences". I can't explain why, but native speakers would always use "both the ..." or " both of the..." rather than "the both...".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
" Your hair can crack steel when it hits the right spot" - The speaker is saying that your hair will hit the right spot.

Given that the article suggests this is what happens when shaving, it seems the correct choice to me- this is why razor blades lose their edge.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

both sentences seem to convey the same meaning

Or:

both sentences seem to say the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.