Idiom: Best thing since sliced bread
Meaning: If something is the best thing since sliced bread, it is excellent. ('The greatest thing since sliced bread' is also used.)Country: International English | Subject Area: Food | Usage Type: Both or All Words Used
All idioms have been editorially reviewed, and submitted idioms may have been edited for correctness and completeness.
- Know which side one's bread is buttered on
- Bread and butter
- A little learning is a dangerous thing
- Quarrel with bread and butter
- Bread and circuses
- There's no such thing as a free lunch
- Saying is one thing; doing is another
- Half a loaf is better than no bread
Idiom eBooks from UsingEnglish.com
Buy our lists of British English, American English and Animal idioms in PDF format. They're perfect to use offline for reference or for use in class!
If you have a question about idioms, ask us about it in our Idioms Discussion Forum.
If you know of an idiom that you would like to be listed here, please use our online form to suggest an idiom.
- View examples in Google: Best thing since sliced bread
- Idiom Definition
- Idiom Quizzes