Death Idioms (Page 2)
- Stone dead
- This idiom is a way of emphasizing that there were absolutely no signs of life or movement.
- Those who live by the sword die by the sword
- This means that violent people will be treated violently themselves.
- Watery grave
- If someone has gone to a watery grave, they have drowned.
- Whistling past the graveyard
- (USA) If someone is whistling past the graveyard, they are trying to remain cheerful in difficult circumstances. ('Whistling past the cemetery' is also used.)