Cambridge Proficiency (CPE) Use of English Part 4 Sentence Transformations on Verb Patterns
Lesson Plan Text
Cambridge Proficiency (CPE) Use of English Part 4- Sentence Transformations on
For each question below, complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to
the first sentence, using the word given. Do not change the word given. You must use
between three and eight words, including the word given.
1. Only as a last resort do teenagers use email.
Teenagers avoid ___________________________________________ is no alternative.
2. I have got into the habit of going to the corner shop in my pyjamas.
I __________________________________________________________ in my pyjamas.
3. I didn’t tell him I was married until he proposed.
I _______________________________________ ___________ telling him I was married.
4. Parents are absolutely forbidden from taking their kids on holiday during term time.
On _______________________________________ their kids on holiday during term
5. I have no intention of accepting a wage-cut just to keep this rubbish job.
I ______________________________________ a wage-cut just to keep this rubbish job.
6. Much as she objected to it, Theresa had no choice but to accept his relocation.
Although she didn’t agree at all with her relocation, ___________________________ it.
7. It would have been better for me to tell my landlady that I was thinking of moving.
Written by Alex Case for UsingEnglish.com © 2020