Capital E in England

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Know Nothing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear teacher,
please advice me on the following query.

I am having artwork done for my business cards and on them the designer has spelt England as england but the UK in capitals.

I feel that England should start off with a capital and UK should both be in capitals.

Also can England UK be displayed without a comma or full stop between them.

Please state the correct way that England UK should be displayed on the cards and letterheads.

Thank You.

David Mearns

Dear teacher,
please advice me on the following query.

I am having artwork done for my business cards and on them the designer has spelt England as england but the UK in capitals.

I feel that England should start off with a capital and UK should both be in capitals.

Also can England UK be displayed without a comma or full stop between them.

Please state the correct way that England UK should be displayed on the cards and letterheads.

Thank You.

David Mearns
England, UK is correct.

Is it necessary to include both England and the UK? I would say use one or other, but not both together on a business card.

@ Anglika
The reason I was thinking of using UK was because the company has the name then UK Ltd after it and my website address has UK after the company name and then .com.

I guess though that you are right in asking if both UK and England are needed.

Seeing as UK is in the company name, I think I might just be best sticking to England in the address bar without the UK.

What would you suggest?

Kind Regards

I agree with your suggestion - just put 'England' as 'UK' is already part of the company name. There's not a lot of space on a business card, and you don't want to clutter it up by saying 'UK' 3 times.

b

I find that rather sad. Where did this Bozo get his credentials?

I find that rather sad. Where did this Bozo get his credentials?
Yes, it is sad. I would bet any money you like that he is not a native English speaker.

Yes. I guess that's the derivation. But Bozo has become such a common generic name for a clown that one wouldn't need to know of the original Bozo to use the word.
And 'clown' is used this way (at least where I come from) to refer to someone who behaves in a strange and annoying way.
Example: A driver speeds in and out of traffic and pulls in front of your car dangerously.
You yell at him "Get off the road, you effing clown!" or words to that effect.

See the first definition here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bozo

:up: I've heard it said that the sub-atomic particle the bozon was so named because it does nothing. I don't have the particle physics expertise to know whether this is plausible (or even attested fact - which it may well be; the answer's probably only a click away).

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back