Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Which expression is correct, "a high-paid job" or "a high-paying job"?

Last edited:
A highly paid job.

I'd use "a high-paying job".

I'd use a "well-paid job".

1. a high-paid job
2. a high-paying job
3. a well-paid job
4. a well-paying job
Which of the above expressions is considered wrong by native speakers?

I would not use #4.

I don't like #1 at all. I don't think there are many people who'd say that over the other options given. I'm tempted to say it's wrong.

I am not a teacher.

I think it depends on where you are and what variation of English you intend to use.
If you can provide a context or a sentence, perhaps a native speaker of English will be able to point it out which is the best option.

Last edited:
One native speaker eliminated the first; another eliminated the fourth; another settled on the second. How many more do you need?

I am not a teacher.

I reckon it depends on where you are and what variation of English [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] you intend to use.
If you can provide a context or a sentence, perhaps a native speaker of English will be able to point it out which is the best option.

Well, they say "I reckon" where I'm from, but I think it's distinctly an Americanism. (I could be wrong.)

Well, they say "I reckon" where I'm from, but I think it's distinctly an Americanism. (I could be wrong.)

You reckon? ;-)

1. a high-paid job
2. a high-paying job
3. a well-paid job
4. a well-paying job
Which of the above expressions is considered wrong by native speakers?
They're all fine by me. And if the jobs are easy, too, you can call them cushy.

I see it in British novels sometimes.

"I reckon", meaning "I think" or "I strongly suspect" is fairly commonly used in BrE.

On the contrary, I reckon is extremely common across all the main varieties.

On the contrary, I reckon is extremely common across all the main varieties.

Yes. I agree.
However, depending on your where you are, some people might look at you differently if you use the word.
An American once told me not to use it because she thought it is not a word used by "well-educated" people.
Everyone uses this verb every day in Straya and I have no issues with it.
I guess, at the end of the day, if you can get your message across, who cares about what words you use.:)
My two cents anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back