Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As a result of the more than 100-day conflict, UN Women added, at least 3,000 women may have become widows and heads of households and at least 10,000 children may have lost their fathers.

Source: AP Women and children are the main victims of the Israel-Hamas war with 16,000 killed, UN says

Becoming widows is a tragedy, but how do you understand "becoming heads of households" being described as a tragedy here? It seems to be a cultural thing.
My guess is that in that area (Gaza strip), a mother usually and culturally obeys her husband and doesn't serve as the head of their household. When she has to, it is a tragedy.
Just a guess. I don't know whether you native English speakers think it this way.
What do you think about it then?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
My guess is that in that area (Gaza strip), a mother usually and culturally obeys her husband and doesn't serve as the head of their household.
Yes, and it is tragic if she becomes the head of the household as a result of her husband's death/incapacitation.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In traditionally patriarchal societies (Palestine is an example of this), women don't usually work (and sometimes aren't even allowed to), so it's a disaster if a woman becomes the only adult in a family. She would have no way of earning money for herself and the children. That is, indeed, a tragedy.