Italy
Current Location
Italy
Which is the correct one?

- The cold of the winter
- The coldness of the winter

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

If you would like to put your phrases into complete sentences, we would be happy to comment.

Thanks.

I'd like to say "I know how cold the winter is", but I want to use "cold" as a noun, if it is possible. Without using "The winter cold", I want to use (if it is possible) one of the two sentences, and I wonder which one.

- I know the cold of the winter. It is awful.
- I know the coldness of the winter. It is awful.

I don't know if it makes sense... but I hope so. Thanks in advance.

They are both possible. The first would be more common. With weather, it's usually 'cold'.
Some sentences require 'coldness': 'You could feel the coldness of their greeting'.

Nice. It could be used with "the rain" too? I mean: "The cold of the rain"?
It really was the answer that I wished to read! :-D

No, "The coldness of the rain". If it's something tangible, use 'coldness'.
If you have other examples you're not sure of, posting them in a sentence is more likely to get you a useful response.

Ok that is not the answer I wanted...
So, can I say "The coldness of rain" without using the articles? Once again, I don't think so, but I'm trying (I have some constraints on the sentence, that's why I'm asking).
Thank you a lot!

You can say "The coldness of rain depends on the temperate in the upper atmosphere." That is, rain generally. If you want to comment on specific rain, you'd need the article.
It would be easier to answer if I knew your constraints, and why you want a specific wrong answer. (If it's homework, we shouldn't be helping you - see rules.)

Last edited:
"I know the coldness of rain. It bothers me".
Does it work? Don't worry is not homework, I'm too old for that!

Yes, that is a good sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back