Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My mum used to help with my homework when I was a child. Sometimes she taught me how to pronounce new English words. She said she knew how to read the IPA on the dictionary, but I found her pronunciation quite weird. At first I thought that it was just her accent. However, after I knew that she learned French in school and I came across a video about French pronunciation, I found out that she had been teaching me English in French pronunciation. Fortunately, as the level of English got harder, my mum wasn't able to teach me anymore so she hired a tutor for me.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use "used to" in the first sentence. I would she used to help me with my homework or that she helped me with my homework when I was a child.

When I was a child, my mum used to help me with my homework. when I was a child. Sometimes, she taught me how to pronounce new English words. She said she knew how to read the IPA on in the dictionary, but I found her pronunciation quite weird. At first I thought that it was just her accent. However, after I knew found out that she learned had studied French in school and I came across a video about French pronunciation, I found out that she had been teaching me English in using French pronunciation. Fortunately, as the level of English got harder, my mum wasn't able to teach help me anymore so she hired a tutor for me.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back