Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
A child of noble birth , his name was famous among the children in that school

My first choice is D but the answer is B. :roll:?

Hi, again.
Do you mean 'his name' is grammatically wrong?
I don't think it's a full sentence.
Could you check your workbook(or coursebook?) again and wait for native speakers to respond?

Technically, the sentence should be something like, "A child of noble birth, he had a name famous among...". As it is written, the purist would insist that it means that 'his name' was a child of noble birth. In real life, very few people would notice this 'error'.

Which grammar in this sentence ?:-?:roll:

The only thing I consider to be slightly odd is that I wouldn't say "his name was famous", I would simply say "he was famous". I don't like the entire question though.

Which grammar in this sentence ?:-?:roll:

Hi, Anniversary.:-D
If I understand your question correctly, it(the grammar(grammatical) term for it) is the 'Participial Construction.'
I think it is called 'dangling.' (I'm not sure about it....it might be called a 'non-participial modifier.')
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangling_modifier#Non-participial_modifiers

P.S. I first thought the question was about the 'relative pronoun.'
The child of noble birth, whose name was famous among the children in that school, <verb....>

If there had been a period(full stop) at the end, I might have read it in another way.:cry:

Last edited:
In BrE, "at that school" would be more natural than "in" but that's only going to be picked up in a course book which only recognises one form of English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back