Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

Hello,

Is fit right in an idiomatic expression?
Eg., He is one of the mature students on my course. He's fit right in though, he's got more friends than most of us.

Thank you!

"Fit in" is. The "right" is a modifier describing how easily he fit in.

I have not come across that expression used in such a context.

I would write the second sentence as follow:

He fits in very well with the rest, so he has more friends than most of us.

"He fits right in" is certainly a common expression. It might be used to refer to somebody who although a relative newcomer to the place behaves as if he might have been there for a long time.

He's fit right in ("He has fit", present perfect) and He fits right in (present simple) are both common and idiomatic.

Hello,

Is fit right in an idiomatic expression?
Eg., He is one of the mature students on my course. He's fit right in though, he's got more friends than most of us.

Thank you!
e.g., He is one of the more mature students in my course. He fits right in though; he's got more friends than most of us.

Or, He's fit right in with 's as "has" not "is." (Thanks, goes, I had thought it was "is" and was going to say it was wrong, but of course, the present perfect would work as well.)

e.g., He is one of the more mature students in my course. He fits right in though; he's got more friends than most of us.

Or, He's fit right in with 's as "has" not "is." (Thanks, goes, I had thought it was "is" and was going to say it was wrong, but of course, the present perfect would work as well.)

Oh, it should be ''in'' and not ''on''. Or are both acceptable?

In BrE, it's "on my course". It would be "in my class".

Thanks, ems, I didn't know that.
The preposition differences between BrE and AmE continue to befuddle me.
In my class, in my course - both "in" in AmE.

In AmE, we may be "on a course" of antibiotics, but we would be "in a course" at a school.

We would use on for both in BrE, though in my course doesn't sound wrong to me.

In AmE, course is generally synonymous with class in academic settings. A British course is a program in the States.

Except, of course, "in my class" could also mean "the students in the same grade as me."
My daughter has about 400 students in her class. Not in one room, but the ones who will graduate the day she will.
There are about 18 students in her AP English class - which is also a "course." There are about 400 students in her [graduating] class.

We would use "in" for "my program" too. My friend (a guy) who is studying nursing enjoys that the fact that there are so many more women in his program.

In BrE, "in my class" refers only to the people in the same class/form. The phrase for all the people who will finish/graduate together is "in my year".

Just to make it more fun, we'd say "in my year" too.

A: Isn't Mary in your class?
B: Well, she's part of the class of 2018, so she's in my year, but but she's not in any of my classes.
A: Oh, I thought she was in AP History with you.
A: Yeah, we're both taking that course, but we're not in the same class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back