Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wrote down the following short paragraph in 2012 because I wanted to learn something about different nuts. I don't think it was corrected, however. Is it natural and grammatical?

Fresh chestnut fruits have about 180 calories per 100 grams of edible parts, which is much lower than walnuts, almonds, other nuts and dried fruit. Chestnuts, as with all plant foods, contain no cholesterol and contain very little fat, mostly unsaturated, and no gluten.

a) I think I need to add an "and" before "other nuts".
b) I think "dried fruit" should be "dried fruits".
c) I think "as with all plant foods" is ambiguous here. Does it refer to "all the plant foods" or "edible foods that can be eaten totally"? Such as the "celery", etc. The whole part of it can be eaten, both the stalk and leaves.
d) I think it's redundant to use "contain" here.

Did you post it to the forum? If so, do you have the link?
Sorry, no. I remember it was from Wikipedia.com. However, the page wasn’t edited and now I can’t find it on Wiki. I googled it just now and I found it in only one website and obviously that site isn’t a reliable source either. I think the paragraph is good so I posted it here and I hope teachers here can help me with it.

If it's not your own writing, then please tell us the source.

I wrote copied down the following short paragraph in 2012 because I wanted to learn something about different nuts. I don't think it was corrected, however.
Do you mean you don't remember asking us to correct it?
Is it natural and grammatical?

Fresh chestnut fruits have about 180 calories per 100 grams of edible parts, which is much lower than walnuts, almonds, other nuts and dried fruit. Chestnuts, as with all plant foods, contain no cholesterol and contain very little fat, mostly unsaturated, and no gluten.

a) I think I need to add an "and" before "other nuts". You don't.
b) I think "dried fruit" should be "dried fruits". It shouldn't.
c) I think "as with all plant foods" is ambiguous here. Does it refer to "all the plant foods" or "edible foods that can be eaten totally"? Such as the "celery", etc. The whole part of it can be eaten, both the stalk and leaves. It's not ambiguous. "Plant foods" are foods consisting entirely of plant material (ie without fish, meat etc.)
d) I think it's redundant to use "contain" here. The second "contain" could be omitted.
The only thing that surprised me was seeing "Fresh chestnut fruits". In BrE, we'd just say "Fresh chestnuts". Other than that, it's perfectly well-written.

A fresh chestnut fruits have has about 180 calories per 100 grams of edible flesh, parts, which is much lower than walnuts, almonds, other nuts and dried fruit.
I would definitely not repeat "contain".

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back