[Idiom] getting hit with a massive curveball while you're still at your locker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you understand the metaphorical meaning of "curveball" (rather than the sporting definition)?

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, so apply that to the sentence. Do you understand the metaphorical meaning of "to be hit with" (not the physical sort)?

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Does "locker" have a metaphorical meaning, too?

No metaphorical meaning, but it is an important element of the overall extended metaphor. Consider also the locations involved in this metaphor. Where would one normally expect the possibility of a literal (sporting definition) curveball ?

Last edited:

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
No metaphorical meaning, but it is an important element of the overall extended metaphor. Consider also the locations involved in this metaphor. Where would one normally except the possibility of a literal (sporting definition) curveball ?
Is it a typo?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's some kind of error, yes. Perhaps it's a typo for expect.

I don't understand what Skrej meant to say, or what he was getting at.

On a baseball field?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ooops, not sure if it was a typo or an auto-correct fail, but I did mean to say 'expect'....:oops:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Getting thrown a curve ball while at bat is within the normal realm of possibilities. A competent batter would know that there's always the possibility of one and be ready to adjust accordingly. It would still be difficult to hit, but at least you're aware it might be coming. However, you would not expect to have anything thrown at you if you're not at bat.

You especially aren't expecting any kind of pitch to be thrown at you when you're standing in front of your locker, still getting prepared for the game.

Actually, now that I've read the context, he may be referring to a figurative locker from the baseball metaphor, although they could literally be standing in front of their hall lockers as well.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Actually, now that I've read the context, he may be referring to a figurative locker from the baseball metaphor, although they could literally be standing in front of their hall lockers as well.

Ah, I see now that you were thinking of a 'locker room', which is the US way to refer to what I'd call a 'changing room'. And now I get what you mean about an extended metaphor.

I really assumed that they were merely standing at their literal lockers in the school hall, but even if that is so, I think your idea of there being a sense of a metaphorical locker is more than possible. Since it's the first day of school, it rather feels like a big deal, and like a baseball match, you have to go out and perform to a crowd.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dollars to donuts, it's a Monday to boot. :lol:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It would have to be metaphorical. I wouldn't expect anybody to be throwing anything at me while I'm standing at my locker. To me it just means the person was "hit" with something he wasn't prepared for.

Last edited:

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The first day of school is bad enough without getting hit with a massive curveball while you're still at your locker.
https://books.google.com.tw/books?i...ll while you’re still at your locker"&f=false

What does the phrase "getting hit with a massive curveball while you're still at your locker" mean?

U.S. perspective/interpretation: Most secondary schools have lockers/storage cabinets for students attending the school. Based on the narrative, the student was preparing, at his locker, to enter class on the first day back to school and very surprised to learn that Mr. Maroni, a favored teacher, would not be teaching as expected, because of a move to Cincinnati. The surprise is expressed as a "curveball", a baseball pitch that can be unexpected and confusing to the batter.

Status
Not open for further replies.