He decided that he liked his unfriendly landlord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walt Whitman

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
From ''Wuthering Heights'' by Emily Brontë (chapter 1 simplified)

Lockwood has rented Thrushcross Grange for a year from his nearest neighbour, Mr Heathcliff. He has just returned from a visit to his landlord, a surly man who likes to be alone.

Heathcliff was standing by the gate as Lockwood arrived at his house, early this afternoon. He decided that he liked his unfriendly landlord.

What does “he decided” mean in this context?

Thank you

WW

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Chapter 1 starts with the following words: "1801. - I have just returned from a visit to my landlord - the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with. This is certainly a beautiful country! In all England, I do not believe that I could have fixed on a situation so completely removed from the stir of society. A perfect misanthropist's heaven: and Mr. Heathcliff and I are such a suitable pair to divide the desolation between us. A capital fellow! He little imagined how my heart warmed towards him when I beheld his black eyes withdraw so suspiciously under their brows, as I rode up, and when his fingers sheltered themselves, with a jealous resolution, still further in his waistcoat, as I announced my name".

I haven't read the book, but I would interpret 'He decided that he liked his unfriendly landlord' in one of the following two ways: 1) Lockwood really likes the idea that he'll have a misanthropic neighbor who won't bother him; 2) He's being ironic about it.

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
He decided that he liked his unfriendly landlord.
"Decided" shouldn't be taken too literally here. It's more like "realised" or "concluded" in this context. He concluded that he liked his unfriendly landlord, based on what he'd seen of him.

Walt Whitman

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I was wondering if it’s common usage or just pretty unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.